Kibuye Project overview

AASU’s first community project is focusing on the village of Kibuye in North Eastern Kamuli, on the shores of the Victoria Nile. Kibuye has an estimated population of 60,000 people and is spread over 27 by 35km. The majority of the population is highly dependent on subsistence farming and barter trade within village in order to survive.

Before the project began, Kibuye was dependent upon one borehole for safe drinking water. Due to long lines when collecting water many have been choosing to fetch water from the river, which has caused illness through water born diseases. The village also only has one school, consisting of two classrooms accommodating roughly 600 children. The children that can’t walk the distance to the school simply don’t attend. The majority of children do not attend school, either due to distance or family circumstance, consequentially 80% of Ugandans over the age of 15 are illiterate.

So far within the Kibuye project AASU has been able to buy four acres of land at the East end of the village on which we have built a bore hole and are currently building classrooms for the Arise and Shine Nursery and Primary School which is due to open for the start of the school year in February 2011.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Robert was born disabled with both his legs and hands folded. As a child, Robert had never had a smile on his face and was always in pain.
The parents tried so hard to see that he gets a life by taking him to different kinds of hospitals but nothing changed. Various tests were made but no sickness was ever found in his little body. Despite of the test results, Robert always seemed in pain. He could not feed like normal children do; he seemed fad up of everything and could throw up each time he was fed.
After the parents trying all they could in vain, they decided to bring him to Arise and Shine Uganda. He was taken right away to hospital and the doctors said that he was only malnourished and needed extra feeding on special meals but first with very soft meals. So he was put on a diet of milk and some special food known as “E-pap” and at first it wasn’t easy for he could throw up still. But we never gave up on feeding him and time went on he started picking and stopped throwing up. He even started putting on a little weight each week. Robert was thriving on a special diet of milk with some added food nutrients, high protein porridge among other foods. Life went on and after some time he got a cough and was taken to hospital and various tests were made like the T.B test and still nothing was found. He was given medicine and he responded so positively to the medication and he was fine.
Robert was so loved, even though the parents were not able to care for him, the father kept calling to find out how he was doing and he was always fine not until he fell sick on the 9 of Aug on his fateful day. He fell sick early in the night and was rushed to the children’s hospital in the morning. The doctors could not diagnose any sickness and anticipated that it could be T.B because he was breathing so hard. So he was ex-rayed and results were supposed to come back the following morning. Unfortunately, little Robert didn’t make it to the results day.
He was put on medication as they were waiting for results and at around 11:00pm his condition worsened. His breathing was so rapid and whenever fed, everything would just fall in like in an empty tin. He didn’t seem to taste anything. He seemed too much in pain and was whining. So i rushed looking for a doctor to look at him, an injected and a drip was suggested for him. We thought the nurses would have been faster and more concerned about the ill child but that wasn’t something we would definitely expect from our public hospital. “this is a place where hundreds of patients are waiting in a queue , some losing consciousness and fainting, some in need of blood and looking like they would die the next minute while others are dying therefore you are not the only ones “the nurse informed us with a serious look  on her face while giving Robert the injection. Not long after the injection, little Robert passed away not waiting for the drip. I learned that sometimes life is just too hard to live. But above all, Robert is in the loving hands of his Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.